Sleeping Tips for Better Rest After Gastric Sleeve Surgery
Are you worried about struggling to get a good night’s sleep after gastric sleeve surgery? Can you sleep on your side or stomach during recovery? You’re not alone in your questions! Many people find that they have difficulty sleeping following any type of surgery. This can be due to a number of factors, including the pain and discomfort associated with the surgery itself. In this blog post, we will discuss how to sleep after gastric sleeve surgery. We will also provide some helpful advice on how to deal with common sleep problems.
How to Sleep After Gastric Sleeve Surgery
There are a number of things that you can do to improve your chances of getting a good night’s sleep after gastric sleeve surgery. Here are some tips that we recommend:
- Make sure that you create a comfortable sleeping environment. This means making sure that your bedroom is dark, quiet, and cool. You may also want to consider using earplugs or noise-canceling headphones to block out any external sounds.
- Use supportive pillows. You will want to make sure that you are using pillows that provide support for your head and neck. If possible, we recommend sleeping on your back with a pillow under each knee. This can help to relieve pressure on the abdomen and lower back.
- Try relaxation techniques before bedtimes such as yoga, meditation, or deep breathing exercises; these activities will help relax muscles throughout the body, which in turn makes falling asleep easier.
- Establish a regular sleep schedule. Go to bed and wake up at the same time each day, even on weekends. This will help your body get into a routine and make it easier to fall asleep.
- Sleep on your back or your side. This is the best sleeping position after gastric sleeve surgery. Sleeping on your stomach can be uncomfortable after gastric sleeve surgery. Your doctor may recommend that you sleep in a recliner chair for the first few weeks to help reduce pain and discomfort.
- Avoid using electronics (such as cell phones) close by while sleeping; they emit blue light, which can disrupt your body’s natural sleep rhythm.
Knowing things like the best position to sleep in after gastric sleeve surgery will help ensure your comfort during your recovery period. However, if you turn to us for gastric sleeve surgery in Maryland, know that we will be your partners throughout your recovery. Gastric sleeve surgery can provide several benefits to your overall health. If you’re interested in learning more about this procedure, contact us today.